Thursday, November 18, 2010

Sore Throat, Swollen Tounge

cartoonists talking about art, not art. After Lucca Comics




E 'for some time that I find myself neglecting the blog, but you know it goes on more and more leisure time is reduced. Since
Facebook allows me to critique the politics and Italian life, giving life to my dog \u200b\u200bcrazy outbursts, I decided to use the blog as a space to exhibit my work and express some thoughts.
In my previous post I expressed doubts on the encounter between the authors held in Lucca and was accused of spitting venom on the next, are judged more the ways that the contents in the beautiful Italy (I am sorry that share his ideas is always counterproductive).
Today I reflect, as some comments to that post, on the preparation of professionals in my workplace.
I remember my first public meeting, held in Bologna for insomnia, a person turned to Joseph Di Bernardo (series creator) defining the artistic design, Joseph then intervened and said that the cartoonists are artists not artisans.

course polemichino inherent in my nature, I had to intervene to point out that comics could be art too.
At that moment I was aware of what art was, as it does not fall from a pear tree and visas the background is, but I was not aware of what was the world of comics, Joseph was definitely more prepared than me.

When Di Bernardo called the balloon craft I had a start, I was reminded of when I was being accused of childishness because of age I was reading Spider-Man or Dylan Dog, then the reaction was a resounding 'comics crafts. .. ever. "
but forgot the context in which that exchange of words took place, that is a comic fair.

Five years later I find myself having to define comics as a product of craft, not because they do not consider it a language that can create art, but because its professionals are unaware completely what is art.
Surely it is ignorance, or perhaps a shortcoming that should be immediately filled with some text, easily available, sorry for you who do not know but Art is subjective.

If everything is art, nothing is ART.

go well the various blogs and sites that anticipate or delay their name with Art is a trendy and fashionable look entirely legitimate part of a promotion policy, but borders on the ridiculous call themselves artists because the artist is a period in which the majority of society establishes a cultural value to an author, and not to be underestimated.

Words are important!

A work to be considered art must have a value given by the community and not by a small number of individuals, so dear to us "artists" will relax you even eat bread.

I often wonder how can a comic artist is not interested in art, it is as if a writer did not read books.
I speak not only of classical art, one must go beyond Michelangelo, Raphael, Munch, Mucha, Klimt and Schiele, I speak of Anselm Kiefer, Boltanski or all of the German movement.
How can a comic refrain from making a trip to the Venice Biennale, or from visiting a modern art museum at least once a month.
How can we hope to make art without knowing the other visual languages, cinema, theater, photography, do not say to be a living encyclopedia, but at least spend a little space to the world outside of comics.

Having established that we are not artists, or at least not all that many, we can at least define skilled craftsmen?
We are professionals?

See you at the next episode!

0 comments:

Post a Comment